Saturday 14 April 2007

Symbiotic associations.

Twig, covered with pages from the yearbook of the US Dept. of Agriculture 1904, glued and drawn on with ink pen.


Lichen on the dead gooseberry bush.


Twig, book pages glue and ink.


Apple tree with lichen.


I have been visiting my sister's allotment this month and it has been a huge source of new ideas, with everything starting to bloom and even the dead wood has life growing still. I have been taking photographs of the amazing forms of the lichen on the branches, it has a symbiotic relationship with the plant that it grows on.

Then this week I started a new project with twigs, papier-mache and drawing combined. I had not seen the relationship with what I had been studying intently on the allotment until I started constructing this post for the blog - then I suddenly saw the symbiotic relationship of this new work with the natural forms I had been taking pictures of. In the last 2 years my work has become more spontaneous, the materials suggest the form and as I construct new work I begin to find associations within it. Making art has become such an integral part of my life that I don't even think about it - the art just evolves. Meanings reveal themselves as part of the process.

3 comments:

comfies said...

this looks like an amazing and beautiful project!!!thank you for sharing your process too. it's a favorite thing of mine to hear people share some of their creative path..

Feltbug said...

Thankyou Comfies !

Anna Davern said...

Hi, I enjoy your blog very much. This post reminded me of something I read by Fibre artist Nalda Searles on the blog Fodder. She's talking about how Australian grasses are not soaked before basket making as is done in the Northern Hemisphere and she says..."Some years ago I used pure spinnifex, (triodia,) I was in the Pilbara near Karratha and there was a finer Triodia there. Still very hard on the hands. So I did soak it, lo and behold the basket went green and started to grow.Such an opportunist is Triodia."