Friday 27 April 2007

Natural resource

' April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.'
excerpt from The Waste Land by TS Eliot

My Mum brought me lilac from her garden - it smells sensational !


Walking through the local park on Tuesday, I spotted this lovely big branch and could not help but drag it home and up the stairs (getting stuck half-way) - it was twice as long as this and I had to saw the branches off before I could go any further. I do have a tendency to pick stuff up from the street - small twigs and abandoned chairs are some of my regular finds !! When my Mum came over to see me with the lilac she didn't spot the tree in my room straight away but when she did I think it made her jump ! I love trees and stuff made of wood - always have. I am not sure what I am going to use it for yet - I do like to work on a grand scale and may continue my theme of papier-mache and drawing onto it - or maybe make some wire and paper hybrids growing from it ....

2 comments:

Julia said...

That's some branch you've got there!
I know you'll do something wonderful with it...especially after all the effort you took bring it home.
Your story reminded me of an incident Robb and I had with a settee and a saw ,when we lived on the 4th floor...we'd got it that far...It WAS going in the flat!(With patience and a bit of hard labour he managed to invisibly mend it)

shula said...

Up the stairs, eh?

Oh, I just love it.

I understand this kind of thing, completely.