Friday 30 November 2007

Thomas Schutte

On the way back we saw the latest project for the 4th plinth in Trafalgar square, by Thomas Schutte, another artist from Germany whose work I first saw at the Whitechapel Gallery a couple of years ago. Just to rephrase that - the show I saw was in 1998(!) and it was very different work to the piece he has made here. I have the original exhibition guide somewhere which I will try and find to show you.

The Baselitz show was very much about the passing of time - there were reference points for different movements in art that I have experienced over the years where I could see the influence Baselitz has inspired in others and there was his own personal passage of time which has literally come full circle in the work he is producing now.

1 comment:

admin said...

As featured today on 'lyingdownlookingup' !