Thursday 10 June 2010

Martha Todd

Head and arm, slip cast porcelain, transparent glaze and wire
Toy box, slip cast porcelain, transparent glaze, gold lustre, textile and metal box
Work by Martha Todd at the Royal College of Art graduate show
"My work is primarily conceptual. I make objects that represent my thoughts and findings in life. I enjoy dark humour and am particularly interested in the audience’s reaction to the unusual and absurd. This work is a continuation of the theme of my recent dissertation ‘Confronting the Abject’, exploring human reaction to the abject physical form. Man has always been fascinated by people and animals with physical peculiarities. Although visually we are drawn to the unusual and unknown, we are most comfortable when we view them from a ’safe’ distance."

No comments: