Saturday 26 May 2007

Childhood diary


November 22nd 1963. President Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas Texas. LH Oswald charged with his murder was shot today in Dallas. Page from my Mum's diary.

What were you doing when President Kennedy was shot ? For my parents generation this was a momentous event. A lot of people from that time remember where they were and what they were doing. My Mum remembers she was at home in the evening, sewing clothes for me ( I was one year old) and heard the news on the radio. The page recording this day comes from the scrap book she made in my early years. My mum was a sculptor in the 60s, until I almost choked on a wood chip, while she was carving in the kitchen. She painted, sewed clothes and dolls for me and kept this beautiful scrap book of cuttings, drawings and photographs. She has always supported my artistic life and been a huge influence on it.

4 comments:

Cally said...

Wow this diary page is beautiful as well as a poigniant reminder of the event.

I can't remember if I already asked your permission to show some of your work on my blog when I first found you?

Susan Schwake said...

this is so moving and such a textural memory of your childhood. so lucky you are to have it.

Julia said...

Wow... What a gem this is!
Love the juxtaposition of the personal and international history.It really let's you see the 'bigger picture'.

Netamir said...

Wow, this is amazing, I am so impressed and touched, I love the painting and the idea of keeping this kind of diary.