Friday 19 October 2007

Louise Bourgeois



Louise Bourgeois - new work at Hauser and Wirth Colnaghi

I first saw the work of Louise Bourgeois in 1989 at Riverside Studios in London, the show was of marble sculptures made in that year. There was a book of her drawings in the bookshop - I was hooked from the moment I saw those drawings.

Bourgeois has a major retrospective at the Tate Modern until 20 January - it is a wonderful and inspiring show. They have not included much of her graphic work of drawings and prints. The good news is that Hauser and Wirth (at Colnaghi) 15 Old Bond Street, London W1S 1AX have put on a show of her recent work which includes sculpture, drawings and prints. It is the perfect complement to the Tate Modern show - and was particularly exciting for me as I had not seen any of this work before. And it was a real treat to have the gallery to myself and to be allowed to take some photos. This show is on until 17th November.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very interested in these shows - I'm particularly pleased you mentioned the commercial gallery as I was wondering what kind of work might showing. Bourgeois may be well known as a sculptor but her drawings are what interest me the most, I think.

Anonymous said...

She is one of my favorite artists and I would kill to go to this show.